Friday 8 August 2014

Mama Elephant, Up and Away in watercolour...

Hi there,

Today I'm posting a card I have made wih the awesome Mama Elephhant stamps, for their amazing blog challenge, which this month is 'Watercolouring and birthdays', and all the details can be found here...


Mama Elephant August blog challenge

So, it's fair to say, "My name is Jill and I am a watercolour addict", LOL!  Serious though, I often worry, is it time I 'walk away from the watercolour'?, ...but I just can't break up with this technique.  I love it more all the time, it looks awesome, is soooo versatile, and the results you get in next to no time...well, need I go on?  So yes, I am out and proud and going nowhere!!!

And here is my card...








I made this card for my friend who lives over the other side of the world in Austrailia! 

I started by die-cutting my cloud shapes from Mama Elephant's 'Landscape Trio's Creative Cuts', for the background, and watercolour washing them using Distress Inks (Tumbled Glass and Broken China).  Although it doesn't show up too great on the pictures, I added interest, and a more 'dreamy' feel, by adding Pearl White mica powder to my Ink.  I then stamped out this incredibly cute little monkey image, and the balloons, from the 'Up and Away' set, and coloured them using my distress inks and a water brush;  again, adding interest by mixing mica powders with my colours.  I then stamped out my sentiments from the same Mama Elephant set, and also an old Hero Arts sentiment to make sure it was obvious it was for a birthday (coz the ballons weren't enough of a give-away, right?), onto vellum, and cut them into thes little cute banners.  I knew I wwanted my card to be really dimensional, so decided to cut a front layer with an aperture, using Lawn Fawn's 'journal card' die, to really give it depth.  I tucked my little banners in the side to keep everything neat and sweet and added my little fella and his balloons to the very front.  I stamped the balloon string onto acetate and cut them out to make it look like he really is just floating along with his balloons, (nothing weird about a monkey floating through the sky on a bunch of balloons surely?), and there you have it.  I have added a few 'progress pics', to give a better idea of my process.






I love Mama Elephant, and I love watercolour, so really enjoyed playing along with this challenge and really like how my card turned out.

As always, I would love to read your comments.

Thanks so much for popping by.

Jillxxx



8 comments:

  1. This is WONDERFUL! I love this card!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amzing card! LOVE your use of watercolor! Thanks so much for playing with us at Mama Elephant and me, hugs, Karin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is amazing, Love all the added layers and shimmer! So glad you could join us at Mama Elephant & Me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute card! I love the cloud layers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! thanks everyone! means the world to me hearing all your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sweet card! I noticed it on the challenge link-up, and just had to leave a comment. I really love the colors you chose. They're soft, but bright and lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your card is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This card is so adorable!! LOVE it!! Thank you so much for playing along with us at Mama Elephant & Me :)

    ReplyDelete